Skip to main content

St. George Half Ironman Recap

My first ever Half Ironman!

Completing a Half Ironman has always been on my bucket list. I have always loved to run, picked up biking in college for cross training and then my plan was to suffer through the swim. I wanted to do Boulder in August but I wan to really focus on training for Chicago and so I picked St. George. I had heard this course was a beast of its own. I was ready. I like hills.

My Training:
I followed a 16 week training program that I bought from a coach. It truly was amazing! I felt awesome on race day and I attribute it to what great plan she wrote. My average training looked something like this:

  • Monday: Run 30-45 minutes, swim 1500-2000 yards and incorporating drills and speed
  • Tuesday: Bike or Bike + Brick Run + Strength training for hips and core
  • Wednesday: Run 30-45 minutes, swim 1500-2000 yards and incorporating drills and speed
  • Thursday: Yoga + foam rolling and stretching
  • Friday: long bike + Brick run
  • Saturday: long run (1:30- 2 Hour) + endurance swim (600 swim, 600 w/ Pool Buoy, 600 Pool Buoy and paddles) 
  • Sunday- foam roll stretch
Race Day: 
The Swim:
It was a beautiful morning and I was so nervous. I rode the bus and of course our bus broke down. I was chatting with this amazing woman who helped calm my nerves. I got into my wet suit and right as we were in the corral (I literally felt like a cow moving to the slaughter house) I started to have a panic attack. What in the world had I gotten myself into? Could I really swim that far? I saw my family and gave them a hug right before I got into the water and all the nerves went away. This lady told me to break the race up into thirds, each event. Swim to the first buoy and take it nice and easy, swim to the second and settle into your pace and then the last buoy, push! Finish time was 42 minutes which I was pleasantly surprised because I felt like I was taking forever out there! But there is definitely some improvement to come in the swim. 

The Bike:
I honestly don't think I stopped smiling the entire bike course. Once I was done with the swim, I was so grateful to be on my bike. Right out of the gate there is a climb and oh boy I was starting to worry that the entire race was going to be like this. Thoughts crept into my mind that I would not make the bike cut off time. The bike flattened out and I started flying. Though I rode very reserved because I heard what was coming for me at the end. Overall the bike was not as bad as I had expected. Yes there were some climbs but more flats that I thought it would be. This nice gentleman told me that there are two aid stations on the bike and for the last one to take a water bottle and drench yourself. I felt fine but I thought about the long haul in front of me and I did it. That helped because that climb was hot and brutal. It was a solid 8-10% grade climb for about 5-6 miles. YOWZA. Though I actually felt good for g what I was actually climbing. The last 10 miles were crazy fast! I looked down a few times and I was hitting 40 miles an hour. I have never prayed so hard that I wouldn't get a flat or crash going that fast. Finish time: 3:29. There is room for improvement but I raced smart with the bike and wanted to reserve myself for the run. 
*Tips: Stay ahead of your hydration and salts on the bike. I took two to three licks of Base Salt every five miles and made sure I was taking drinks every 3-4 miles. 
*Make three points of contact on your bike going downhill because there is a headwind that can throw you off of your bike.
*In your training, ride hills. Prepare for a big climb in the heat late in the bike course around mile 40. 

The Run:
I got off my bike and I don't think that I had mentally prepared for getting off of my bike and running for an additional two hours. But I love to run and I love to run hills oddly enough. I only got passed three times on the run and felt great. I trained for hills, every long run I would run up a canyon by my house. THAT RUN WAS BRUTAL. It was hot and right out of the gate I am running uphill. We climbed a hill and I thought to myself, ahhh that wasn't too bad. Then I noticed I was going downhill, significantly. I kept looking at other runners and they were running up that hill that I was going down! NO WAY!! You climb, go down hill and then they turn you around, climb a hill then turn you around again and go down hill then climb the hill that you just went down and then you climb a really steep hill and then it is gradually downhill for the last 2-3 miles. That course beat up my knees and body. Every aid station I poured ice down my back (haha it all melted in my butt crack and felt a little too wet down there) and I had a lick of my Base Salts every mile. I was diligent with my salts and that is really what helped me feel great and be able to absorb the fluids I was taking in. 
Run Time: 1:58 - I took 17th out of 70 on the run and was pretty happy about that time. 
*Tips: lick your salt every mile 
*Take in fluids and pour ice down your back (but not too much or you'll have a puddle downstairs)
*In your training- do speed work and run the hills! This course gains a lot of elevation in 13.1 miles

Overall, I loved this race. My finish time was 6:22 and I was so happy about that. I had a goal of finishing in under 7 hours and I did it! This course is hard, it is one of its own but don't let it scare you. Own this course. Train and work hard and race smart! I highly recommend this race! I will be back stronger and better. 

-Kylie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips to Beat Holiday Pitfalls

The holidays can be a hard time to stick to your goals. Here are five tips to beat the holiday pitfalls in your goals! 1. Tweak your recipes Cherished family recipes may be loaded with ingredients that we should avoid. Try substituting with applesauce, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and trade condensed milk for coconut milk. 2. Practice portion control Feeling stuffed after a holiday meal seems to be a common feeling this time of year, but it doesn’t have to be. There is a difference between feeling satisfied and feeling full. Watch “having seconds” This can lead to excess calories and not giving yourself enough time to fill full. Limit the food that is around. Food waste is a big deal in America and we can reduce this by the amount of food that we make. Do not miss meals! This slows down your metabolism and will actually do more damage than good on your body. Bring your own snacks to work- there are always tons of holiday treats around the office this tim

4 IngredientProtein Granola Bars

I absolutely love these bars! I do not understand how people do not like peanut butter.  When you mix peanut butter and honey.... you have me. I love quick and easy recipes without a lot of ingredients. I mean, this only has FOUR ingredients! YASSS! Once I created this recipe, I make it almost every week. I love to eat these before or after my workouts. I wanted to share this SUPER easy protein granola bar recipe: Ingredients: 2 cups oats 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup peanut butter 1 serving of vanilla protein powder Directions: In a mixing bowl, combined oats and protein powder, set aside In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the honey to a boil Let the honey boil for one minute Remove the honey from the heat and stir in the peanut butter Immediately pour the honey-peanut butter mixture over oat and protein mixture in mixing bowl as the mixture becomes sticky and difficult to work with so move quickly Pour mixture out on a pan or on a plate Flatten mixture a

Strength Training vs Cardio Junkies Debate

As I was pounding away some miles on the boring treadmill, I was thinking. I don’t know about you, but it feels like the fitness world is becoming more and more divided. I get that in life we have different talents and passions. But I feel like there is a war waging and it is getting intense out there. It is a war against weight lifting verses cardio junkies. I feel like these two worlds are growing farther and farther apart. I have a lot of visions, hopes and dreams. One of my aspirations is to merge these two divided groups. I have done a little self-research and I think that it is so interesting the feelings between these two groups. I was talking to some body builders and they pretty much talked about cardio like it was a disease and how they didn’t want anything to do with it. They often expressed their feelings as though people were just wasting their time on those cardio machines. As I talked to some people who only believe in cardio, who said they can go a whole year without