Skip to main content

Running Shoes- Finding the Right One for You

"Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world"  -Marilyn Monroe 


My personal belief is that shoes are one of the most important things to prevent an injury. I am a girl who loves to run which for me, means that I like to buy a lot of shoes. Did you know that most running shoes last only 500 miles before they need to be replaced? Most people hear the number 500 and they think that it will take them years to reach that number. It is actually a lot easier to hit 500 miles than you think.
I have noticed that a lot of the people at the gym and on the trails always wear the same running shoes! Every day! I have been running and training hard for almost 10 years. I have only had minor injuries (knock on wood) and I strongly contribute that to making my shoes a priority.
How it works for me is that I have about 3 shoes that I rotate during my training. I do my long runs in some, speed work in some, trail runs in some, treadmill in some, etc. Play close attention to how many miles you are putting on your shoes! This will save you from shin splints, foot pain, back pain, knee pain, etc.
These are my opinion, and everyone is different but here is a list of shoes that I love and recommend:


  • Adidas Ultra Boost- Let me tell you something about Adidas, they have got the foam figured out. It is feather light, durable and connects to my foot well, but is a like driving a sports car when you’re in them. Raced a downhill race and the New York Marathon in these shoes and use on my longer runs. Great all around shoe. 
  • New Balance - New Balance has really stepped up their game when it comes to shoes. A few years ago, they weren’t even in the game and now I feel like they could be the MVP. I love the fresh foam. I use these shoes for more speed work because I don’t think they can last as many miles as the Adidas. I use these in speed work, treadmill, and on runs 8 miles and under. 
  • Altra- Escalante- These were my first zero drop shoes. Just a warning, do not run high mileage in zero drop shoes. Your calves will hate you the next day. These are honestly great shoes to add into the rotation. I love the wide toe box and the foam is similar to the Adidas Boost. A very well-built shoe for high mileage and impact that saves your legs on those long and grueling runs. Never raced in these shoes but do a lot of my training in them now and will use them in my upcoming triathlon. 
  • Saucony- Kinivera- is what I love! These are normally my racing shoes. They struggle with a lot of miles in the shoe, so I usually save these for the last two months of my training and lace them up on race day. I have raced Boston and my fastest half marathon in these shoes. These shoes are used for longer runs but can't hold as many miles on them as others because they are so light and fast. 
  • Brooks- Pure Cadence- These are my older running shoes that I refuse to give away. I have not bought more these shoes since 2015. They have become my trail running shoes. I just love the ride of these shoes. Very impressed but have not found another Brooks shoe to replace them.

You are going to pay a price for the quality shoes. But you also get what you pay for! I also justify some of my spending for not having to pay doctor visits! 

I hope you have enjoyed my review and opinions on shoes. Every foot is made differently and so you should get out there and see what works best for you. I love to rotate through not only shoes but also brands, it helps with reducing injuries.


What are your favorite running shoes?

Happy running,
Kylie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips to Beat Holiday Pitfalls

The holidays can be a hard time to stick to your goals. Here are five tips to beat the holiday pitfalls in your goals! 1. Tweak your recipes Cherished family recipes may be loaded with ingredients that we should avoid. Try substituting with applesauce, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and trade condensed milk for coconut milk. 2. Practice portion control Feeling stuffed after a holiday meal seems to be a common feeling this time of year, but it doesn’t have to be. There is a difference between feeling satisfied and feeling full. Watch “having seconds” This can lead to excess calories and not giving yourself enough time to fill full. Limit the food that is around. Food waste is a big deal in America and we can reduce this by the amount of food that we make. Do not miss meals! This slows down your metabolism and will actually do more damage than good on your body. Bring your own snacks to work- there are always tons of holiday treats around the office this tim

4 IngredientProtein Granola Bars

I absolutely love these bars! I do not understand how people do not like peanut butter.  When you mix peanut butter and honey.... you have me. I love quick and easy recipes without a lot of ingredients. I mean, this only has FOUR ingredients! YASSS! Once I created this recipe, I make it almost every week. I love to eat these before or after my workouts. I wanted to share this SUPER easy protein granola bar recipe: Ingredients: 2 cups oats 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup peanut butter 1 serving of vanilla protein powder Directions: In a mixing bowl, combined oats and protein powder, set aside In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the honey to a boil Let the honey boil for one minute Remove the honey from the heat and stir in the peanut butter Immediately pour the honey-peanut butter mixture over oat and protein mixture in mixing bowl as the mixture becomes sticky and difficult to work with so move quickly Pour mixture out on a pan or on a plate Flatten mixture a

Strength Training vs Cardio Junkies Debate

As I was pounding away some miles on the boring treadmill, I was thinking. I don’t know about you, but it feels like the fitness world is becoming more and more divided. I get that in life we have different talents and passions. But I feel like there is a war waging and it is getting intense out there. It is a war against weight lifting verses cardio junkies. I feel like these two worlds are growing farther and farther apart. I have a lot of visions, hopes and dreams. One of my aspirations is to merge these two divided groups. I have done a little self-research and I think that it is so interesting the feelings between these two groups. I was talking to some body builders and they pretty much talked about cardio like it was a disease and how they didn’t want anything to do with it. They often expressed their feelings as though people were just wasting their time on those cardio machines. As I talked to some people who only believe in cardio, who said they can go a whole year without